Friday, May 18, 2007

5.18

[Update] I added a few more articles.

(Photo from the Chosun Ilbo)

Today marks the 27th anniversary of the Kwangju Uprising. Here are the articles relating to it in the news today:

Hankyoreh:
Watches, stopped in time, tell of sorrows of Gwangju
Roh strikes back at critics of his regime
Why are you so sad, young friend?


Korea Times:
Citizens Commemorate Democratic Uprising
Hopefuls Gather for Gwangju Anniversary

Joongang Ilbo:
Rivals on same political spectrum visit Gwangju
Gwangju records released for all

Yonhap:
Political wrangling over alliance continues on democracy movement anniversary

Chosun Ilbo:

Pres. Roh Commemorates Gwangju Uprising


Photos and video at naver.com

I'll post something lengthier in a day or two; the dozen or so posts I've written about the uprising can be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see an email address here.

I've got some of those NY Times articles from May of 1980 I can email you if you want them.

You can email me at usinkorea@hotmail.com

elaine said...

Hi - I'm working on a novel connected to Gwangju and the 1980 uprisings; your blog has been a great resource. I'm wondering if you might have any suggestions for further reading - I'm interesting in learning more about the years following the uprising, particularly student activism in the 1980s. You can reach me at ehkim@earthlink.net. Thanks so much.