Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Robosem

These children look rather cheerful considering
they're at school during spring vacation.

According to the Joongang Ilbo, yet another type of robot teacher has been deployed at Howon Elementary school in Ansan Anyang, named 'Robosem,' an incorrect Romanization of '로보샘,' short, of course, for '로봇 선생님.' (By the way, how old is that contraction of 선생님? It seems pretty recent to me, but I may well be wrong.) At any rate, I hope getting rid of foreign teachers by taking their jobs is the only thing they're being designed for... and that the day they're deployed, fully armed, into Haebangchon never comes.

8 comments:

Darth Babaganoosh said...

샘 is not all that recent. I think I may have heard it the first time in the late 90's, but I've only ever heard it used as a cutesy informal nickname by younger students.

Dale's Korean Temple Adventures said...

When I first came to Korea in 2003 people were using 샘. But strangely, I don't hear it that much in the public schools.

Chris in South Korea said...

I can't say I've ever heard it from a Korean. I have, however, read it in at least one learning-Korean book ("Dirty Korean", where it's referred as slang, like 'Yo, Teach!').

Brian said...

Students used it all the time in my previous public schools.

Is there like an OED for Korean that lets you look at usage history? Or maybe a Naver search will bring up something.

matt said...

Not only my students, but even my co-workers (in an elementary school) would sometimes address each other using 샘, so I doubt it's too slangy. I can't remember who exactly was being addressed - most likely it was slightly older teachers addressing younger ones or ones the same age/level of experience.

Unknown said...

The original article says this is in Anyang, not Ansan. Also why is "Robosem" a poor romanization of "로보샘"? Robo is certainly not a Korean word, they copied it from the English language and transliterated it into Hangul so maybe it should be the other way around.

matt said...

I meant 샘 = saem is all. Thanks for catching the error.

ttuface said...

future fatties